PHP Classes

Joomla! 1.5 Book

Recommend this page to a friend!

Building Websites with Joomla! 1.5  >  All threads  >  Joomla! 1.5 Book  >  (Un) Subscribe thread alerts  
Subject:Joomla! 1.5 Book
Summary:How does this compare to and improve the Joomla! 1.0 Book?
Author:David Skarjune
Date:2008-04-29 17:35:49
Update:2008-04-29 19:08:26

1. Joomla! 1.5 Book   Reply   Report abuse  
Picture of David Skarjune David Skarjune - 2008-04-29 18:24:30
I have the 1.0 book, but it was rather expensive for what was delivered. Much of the book was screenshots with perfunctory explanations that didn't add much more than the online Help that comes with Jooma!. Actually, I never recommended the book to anyone, as you could get much more out of various PDF manuals available for free or at low cost. The only really good chapters were the last two on Templates and Extensions, which had excellent examples, making them unique offerings. But, at $44.95 that's a lot to pay.

Does the new version just update the first edition format? Or has the author fleshed out more content beyond the obvious screenshots and Help rewrites?

2. Re: Joomla! 1.5 Book   Reply   Report abuse  
Picture of R.L. Renkema R.L. Renkema - 2008-04-29 19:08:26 - In reply to message 1 from David Skarjune
This book is not really comparable as Joomla 1.0 and 1.5 are not really comparable. I can therefor only point you to the review and say that I'm 100% behind every word I wrote about it. If you are, as I suspect, already familiar with Joomla the book will help you very much to understand what has changed and how it has changed. The argument of PDF laying around is hardly valid as the manuals and tutorials on 1.5 are far from complete yet. As for 44$ I agree, a long time ago in a universe far far away it was a lot of money. Somehow somewhere someone was able to reajust that currency to the paper value it was printed on.